Founded in 1911 as a sugar estate, Medine grew along with the economic development of Mauritius through the years, by diversifying its activities into leisure and tourism, agriculture and trade.
Capitalising on the prime geographic location of its 3,000-hectare land bank on the west coast of the island, Medine engaged in an unprecedented property development programme to turn the region into a sustainable and attractive place to live for both Mauritian families and visitors.
Medine Limited is listed on the Stock Exchange of Mauritius with a market capitalisation of MUR 10 billion (Euro 244 million) and stands among the top 75 Mauritian companies.
“Medine has a rich history as a pioneer in many fields of activity and Uniciti is yet another landmark as we push forward. We have successfully expanded our activities from being solely a sugar producer to a diversified organisation. The Medine Group devised a vision around the virtuous circle of the knowledge economy and we are confident that high-quality tertiary education and research will in time become a new pillar of Mauritius’ economy.”Thierry Sauzier
CEO of Medine Group
Medine in figures
A few figures to provide an indication of what is medine today vicinity of the country's major cities on the highly desirable west coast of Mauritius, Medine has engaged in a major integrated property.
As a pioneer in a number of activities, Medine still looks ahead to develop innovative solutions that best fit the lifestyle of the new century. Through its Agriculture, Education, Property Development, and Leisure sectors, the centennial company is, more than ever, set to turn the West of the island into a major “work, live, play” destination.
- Jan 2018 - Launch of Uniciti Education Hub
- Sep 2017 - The launch of Medine Smart City, Uniciti
- Oct 2016 – Joint venture between Medine Limited and Middlesex University
- Nov 2015 – Setting up Medine Power Generation Plant
- Oct 2015 - Opening of Student Life Residences
- Dec 2014 – Rebranding of Casela Leisure Park into Casela World of Adventures
- 2013 - Launch of the Penny Blue Rum
- Oct 2012 – Launch of Medine Education Village
- Oct 2011 - Opening of Cascavelle Shopping Village
- Mar 2011 - Centennial celebrations